Dogs and cats are not "dumb" animals; they just don't vocalize in a language we understand. RB

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sabrina the Goat Gets Her Due

Earlier this year I adopted three adult goats. Uli is a male wether (which means he has been neutered) and is about 5-1/2. Mama is about 4 now and Sabrina (Mama's daughter) is about 3-1/2. They are pygmy goats, and while Sabrina is the smallest at about 40 to 50 pounds, I would guess that Mama weighs about 60 pounds and Uli is close to 70 pounds. 

They tend to have issues with anything smaller than themselves and the cats have learned to watch out for them, as they might get butted or chased. When I am outside doing chores, the goats follow me around hoping for a snack and this morning was no exception. They all followed me out to the chicken house when I went to let the chickens out.

The chickens are happy to get outside while the weather is still nice enough for them to look for insects, plants and seeds that the wild birds might have missed. The dominant rooster is a
handsome Barred Rock named Rocky, and he is the largest member and protector of the flock. He exits the chicken house first and in the evening is the last to re-enter.

Sabrina, took exception to Rocky, put her head down and challenged him. Rocky ignored Sabrina, until she butted him squarely on the bottom. I admonished Sabrina and attempted to explain that while the goats should watch out for the chickens; the chickens in turn can protect the goats, as they crow when a threat to their flock is detected. Sabrina shook her head in disagreement or stubbornness.

I watched to see what would happen, in case I needed to intervene on Rocky's behalf. Rocky turned squarely around and fluffed up his feathers. He wanted to make himself look larger to
Sabrina (who weighs about 40 pounds). I have never weighed Rocky, but he probably weighs between 5-7 pounds soaking wet. Sabrina challenged Rocky again. After fluffing himself up,
Rocky launched himself in the air and in the direction of Sabrina, spurs at the ready.

For those of you that may not know, all chickens are capable of having spurs although a hen's spurs are not as impressive as a rooster's. The spurs are on the back of a chicken's leg and
depending on the size of the chicken are about an inch to two inches above the ground. Rocky's spurs are about 1-1/2 inches long. Spurs are used for defense and I suspect a rooster with larger spurs is more attractive to a hen looking for a mate, as the larger the spurs the better a rooster can protect a hen.

Rocky didn't hit Sabrina with his spurs, but she got the message and turned tail. I cheered Rocky, as none of the animals has been brave enough to stand up to the goats. I returned to doing my chores. I needed to go outside again to let Skye out for her morning perambulations and to give the critters kitchen scraps. I am very happy to report that the chickens and goats are now within feet of each other and while not ignoring each other, they are all eating companionably.

No comments:

Post a Comment